Farm Life Panama Aug 17, 2024

 This morning started early...I am talking 4a early...as something crossed the farm and set off furious barking from our four dogs and the two 120 lb Brazilian Filas in residence for the weekend. If the dead weren't awake and cruising the darkness prior, they were certainly wide awake now... as I was.

I hauled my sleep deprived carcass out of bed, grabbed my police strength spot light and stood sentry on the terrace scanning the darkness below. Nada. Whatever was there had quickly vacated to escape the noise. I retreated to the bed and shut my eyes. Sleep had also vacated.
Once the coffee was started, I settled on the outside rocker to watch for the first rays of sun. And then I saw it...a new mare on the farm with her one month colt next to her! Both, a beautiful fawn color. The chorus of chirping birds began as the sun climbed into the sky and clouds caressed the flanks of Baru. Another beautiful morning to behold!
I glanced at my phone to check the calendar for the day. Nothing. Good. I could do some much needed weed pulling before the heat of the day and complete my furniture refinishing projects. Maybe get in a short nap before enjoying dinner out.
The weeds pulled, I went back to the house for a cool drink. I looked toward the stall where the new mare and colt had been. They were not there! Scanning the pastures I saw that our resident vet had sedated the mare and had her down on the ground. I put my drink down and went to assist.
The mare was on the farm to be inseminated. This is common to do soon after a foaling as mares typically come back into estrus quickly. This is called post-partum estrus. Once the new baby is born approximately 10 months later the current baby will have been weaned. But the mare also had other issues to be attended.
Flies in the tropics are a big problem. They will chew on horseflesh and create open sores called a habronema. If the sores are not cleaned, cauterized and treated, the wound can compromise the health of the horse.
My job was to keep the foal away from the mother while treatment was completed and she was once again on her feet and stable. This was to ensure the safety of the baby. The foal had other ideas...demonstrating the zoomies, he ran in circles around the pasture evading my control and managed a side kick to the rib cage of another assistant.
Finally, all was completed, no injuries to the assistants and the morning returned to tranquility.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did I Get to This!?

Farm Life Panama Sept 15, 2024